Monday, August 11, 2008

The Brat Pack

Raise your left hand if you know and love "The Brat Pack."

Raise your right hand if you have seen "The Breakfast Club" and recognize references to it in pop culture.

If both of your hands are up in the air, then you should be as astonished as I was when I saw a reference to "The Breakfast Club" in a JC Penny comercia for back to school shopping for tweens and teens.

Seriously? That reference went over all their heads. One of my lifeguards who is 17 had not seen nor heard of "The Goonies. " Now, I know these two movies are not in the same realm, but bare with me a moment. If a soon to be high school senior doesn't know what "Goonies never say die" means, how is he going to catch the reference to "The Breakfast Club?" I'm just sayin'!

4 comments:

WanderingGirl said...

Dude, I hate to tell you this, but I'm surprised YOU get those references! You must have had a babysitter that felt a social obligation to teach you great things. :)

Unknown said...

That is exactly why I'm offended that they are targeting kids even younger than me!

It wasn't a babysitter actually. It was my younger sister. She loves the Brat Pack Era. :)

Steven said...

What about the really horrible cover of Don't You (Forget About Me)?

Although, I am sure that the commercial isn't targeted at the kids. It is targeted at the parents of these kids who did grow up with the John Hughes movies. J.C. Penny is trying to bridge the generational gap to their economic benefit.

But yeah, boo to that commercial.

Unknown said...

Very true, Steven. I never thought of it that way.